Holy Hot Diggity Garlicky-Lemongrass Chilli Oil
My hot chilli oil uses the aromas from kaffir/lime leaves and lemongrass to elevate it to the next level. Not only does it bring on the heat, but it also brings in explosions of flavours to your senses. I add it to my rice and noodle bowls. I dip my egg rolls, dumplings, buns, and gyozas in it. I with it with equal parts of red wine vinegar and low sodium soy as a dip for braised meats. I even will add it to my stir fry, soup, pasta, pizzas, hot dogs, poutine, sushi, you name it! It's that good and versatile. Trust me!
- ⅓ Cup Baby Shrimp
- ⅓ Cup Garlic minced
- ⅓ Cup Shallots diced
- 1 Cup Dried Chilli Flakes
- ⅓ Cup Lemongrass you can find prechopped lemongrass in the frozen section of most Asian supermarkets.
- 8 Lime aka Kaffir Leaves
- 2 Cups Neutral Flavoured Oil
- Toast dried baby shrimp on a frying pan until aroma comes about.
- Add roasted shrimp in mortar and pestle and pound finely. A coffee grinder would work as well. Or the good old knife and chopping board trick. Set aside.
- Add lemongrass and lime/kaffir leaves to the pan and dry roast to eliminate moisture from the freezer. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot to medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to heat up, add in garlic and shallots. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients to oil and fry until fragrant. About another 8-12 mins.
- Remove from heat. Let cool, remove lime leaves, and serve.
- Store in the fridge, in an air-tight container.
Chefs Kiss 💋